National Magazine Samples:
- Darwin in Love. Charles Darwin, who of all people should have known better, married his first cousin. Did his love for Emma color his later works?
- The Brain Science Behind Conspiracy Theories. It might not be a lack of intelligence that leads many to believe wild—and wildly inaccurate—information, but instead our mind’s way of protecting us from feelings of isolation and despair.
- Bison versus Mammoths: New Culprit in the Disappearance of North America’s Giants. A scientist turns up new clues to the disappearance of North America’s giant beavers, saber-toothed cats and other large mammals.
- Outsmarting Dengue Fever. Why one scientist is vaccinating mosquitoes, not patients.
- Corals in Lust. Why they spawn only at twilight, and only a few times a year.
- Beauty and the Beasts. The sight of a pretty woman brings out the war monger in men.
- Hiking Las Vegas. Just a few miles from the perfectly enclosed, artificial worlds of the Strip’s casinos, there lie some beautiful and accessible spectacles of nature.
- Winemaking: Science, Nature, and Fancy Footwork. Each glass tells you something about the wine’s milieu as well as the vintner’s approach.
- A host of articles including many “20 Things You Didn’t Know about…” ones, for Discover Magazine. (Page upon page. Just keep clicking.)
- All the President’s White Women (NY Daily News)
- Actually, Truth Isn’t Truth (NY Daily News)
- What Would Sigmund Freud Say about Gay Conversion Therapy? (Seattle Times)
- The Supreme Court Meets Sigmund Freud (Chicago Tribune)
- The Human Animal. Our animal nature is undeniable. Is beastly behavior inevitable?
- Intimacy Across Cultures—and Species. Do rats and pigmy chimps dream of electric kisses?
- The Naked Truth about The Wives of Tall Men. Are they really happier?
- Mean vs. Kind Humor. Louis C. K., the Dobie Gillis show, and borderline personality.
- Tough Love for Dog Lovers. New research shows he (or she) is just not that into you.
- Why Don’t Women Leave Batterers?. Knocks to the head may diminish them so much that they can’t.
- Is America Safer When Good Guys Have Guns?. Homicide data + Crime Victimization Survey Results = Surprise
- For Beck and Branch, Rebecca produces the Science Bits series.